Monday, April 19, 2010

What the heck is Falafel?

By the way it is pronounced ful-lof-el.  My familiy and I made a trip to Dean's Natural Food Store, similar to Whole Foods but a tad smaller.  We're trying to replace some of the junky processed food my 2 year old eats with more natural foods.  Well falafel chips were out to taste with some dip.  I guess they have to put it out to taste because who might pick up the bag and say, "Now this is what I want with my sour cream and onion dip for a late night snack."  Anyway, my husband brought me one while I looked at the overpriced frozen flax waffles and said, "You gotta try this.  It's falafel."  And that was it.  I'm hooked.  Ate some last night.  The guy checking out said, "These things are great.  I just learned what a falafel was the other day." "Oh yeah, what is it?"  "Uh, I don't really know."  Then you didn't really learn did you?  The girl at the next register who looked like she knew everything about the whole store told me it was made from chick peas.  I HATE CHICK PEAS!.  Don't you get made when you find something out like and you wish you didn't know.  I still like them, but can't help remember when I was 15 and worked as a food prep girl filling the salad bar.  Cracking open the huge can of chick peas.... I can still smell it and it makes me shiver a little. 
So bottom line, falafel chips are good.  The ones we bought have a ton of garlic in them.  They have no wheat, dairy, lactose, trans fat, cholesterol, msg, hydrogenated oil, gmo (what is that), preservatives, artificial colors or artificial flavors.  Like I said, it's pretty much chick peas and organic flavors and veggies.  Surprisingly really good, and I'm a harsh critic when it comes to good food!  Go chick peas!

By the way, spent 65 dollars on snacks.  They better last!

No comments:

Post a Comment